Thunderbird is a free, open source email client from Mozilla that exports individual emails in EML or email archives in MBOX.
- Open Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Click 'Create new account: Email'.
- A new window opens. Select 'Skip and use my existing email address'.
- Enter name, email address and password, and click 'Continue';
- Thunderbird searches your email servers for incoming and outgoing email. Select 'IMAP' and click 'Done'.
- Thunderbird asks for permission to access your emails and then retrieves all messages.
Exporting emails to the folder structure
- Open the message that you want to export;
- In the window, click 'File' and then 'Save as'. Select to save the message as a file.
- Put the email in the correct folder and click 'Save';
- The email is saved as an EML file.
You can install the ImportExportTools NG add-on in Thunderbird, which makes it possible to export multiple emails from your mailbox in EML format.
- Right-click on the folder you want to export;
- Select 'Import/Export in mbox/eml format - Export all messages in the folder - EML format'.
- Select the folder you want to save the emails to and click 'Select folder'.
- You will see the following window. Click 'OK'.
- All emails are saved. A file called 'index.html' is also saved, which is an HTML file with a table of all the emails you have exported.
Saving an email archive in MBOX
- Right-click on the email address you want to archive;
- Select 'Import/export in mbox/eml format' and then 'Export all folders (with structure)'.
- Click 'OK'.
- Select the folder you want to save the email archive to and click 'Select folder';
- Mozilla Thunderbird exports the entire email archive in MBOX. An MBOX file is created for each folder in the mailbox.