When you want to show (parts of) your archive and/or your collection, it might be necessary to digitise them. This guideline looks at how to digitise text documents, photos and audio or video recordings.
Why use standards?
It is possible to show things from the history of your organisation or work on, for example, a website by digitising physical documents and objects from your archive and/or collection. By taking into account current standards you will do the job more carefully and make the right choice as regards quality, exchangeability and durability of the digitised files.
You can either digitise parts of your archive and/or collection yourself or outsource the job. When digitising, there are a multitude of aspects to take into consideration:
- What shall I digitise?
- Where do I find the most suitable equipment?
- Who is a good and reliable service provider?
- What sort of quality requirements should I prioritise?
- In which format is it best to save my file?
- Where is the best place to store my digitised documents and objects?
If in doubt, ask for help from professional organisations. You should definitely do this if you want to digitise documents and objects to replace the physical original or if the original is in poor condition.
This tool helps you to make choices about what you should digitise, how you can approach digitisation and what you need to take into consideration: Digitaliseren van tekstdocumenten, foto's, geluidsopnames en video's (only in Dutch).
- For digitisation projects, CEST guidelines are taken into account for digitising text documents, photos, audio and video recordings.